Tuesday 2 July 2013

10 Reasons To Love Mallorca


Ok, so I had a realisation: If you don't know me in person, then how are you going to comprehend my love for a tiny island, which has as little as 869,000 inhabitants?

So here is a post to explain my enchantment with the very special island that is Mallorca...

10. Diversity 

Whether you like lying on the beach, enticing a thrill from windsurfing, climbing mountains, cycling along winding country roads, Mallorca has everything you could ever wish for. Personally I love relaxing by the sea, there is nothing better than spreading a towel over the white sand and settling down with a good book! This week alone I started and finished Lady of the Rivers by Philipa Gregory, fantastic read about the War of the Roses.

Coastal path to Palma, ideal for bikes, walkers and roller skaters


9. Weather
Mallorca has the perfect climate in my opinion. In the summer the sky blazes blue and the sun looks down on you with a glorious smile. In winter, it is much the same, except the sun is much more delicate on my fair skin and you get cool shelter from the passing clouds. I remember spending christmas here some years ago, thrilled at the prospects of not needing a coat.

The many shades of blue

8. People
Kind, sociable, friendly and passionate are just some words you could use to describe the people of Mallorca. Every man, woman and child is more than willing to spark up a conversation if you so desire. Mallorquins are whole heartedly passionate in their interests, whether that be politics, sport or daily life.

7. History
There is lot of history, some dating back to the AD era. Hence, there is no lack of museums, artefacts, ruins and writings. One of my favourite activities is to get the train from Palma to Soller. This is no ordinary train, running a continual service since 1912, it is a fantastic way to experience Mallorca as it would have been at the turn of the century, as well to as see what beauty the countryside holds.

Train from Palma to Soller

6. Culture
Due to point 7, the history, Mallorca is a cauldron for culture. From Moorish ruins to composers, nature reserves to churches, there is always something fascinating to be found. Examples of cultural places to visit include the Banys Arabs (Arab Baths) in the city and the Chopin museum in Valldemossa. You can also spend time appreciating the painter Joan Miro at the Fundacio Pilar i Joan Miro a Mallorca, who died on the island in the 1980s.

Valldemossa views

Chopin statue Mallorca

5. Food
Now I love food, but Spanish cuisine is on another level. The thing is Mallorca can create treats such as ensaimadas which cannot be replicated anywhere else in the world. Whether it's the water, the flour or something else, the breakfast favourites are one of a kind. Also, there's trampo Mallorquin, which I have tried to make in my Surrey kitchen on numerous occasions but can never quite get the base right.

Breakfast time!

Anyone for Paella?

4. Language
Of course Spanish is spoken here but so is Mallorquin. The catalan language has a great sound to it and there is nothing more heart warming than to hear than a couple of abuelas talking to each other in this traditional dialect over a coffee. Fingers crossed I can learn some more this month!

3. Beaches
I think the beaches can speak for themselves:

Puerto Alcudia

Arenal

Cala Mondrago


2. Palma
This is where I would live if I had the funds to support myself. Steeped in history, the narrow streets lead you around the maze which is the city centre. Beautifully old buildings loom over you, with many in the old quarter having rooftop views of La Seu, the Cathedral and the busy port which is always host to huge cruise liners and stunning yachts. There's also cafes, restaurants, shops, even a university! Everything you could ever need.

Rooftop view of the Cathedral

Narrow winding streets

Secret gardens

Beautiful shops

Views of Palma from Nu Burgesa


1. My Family
I have family here, making this the most important reason for me to love this wonderful island.


Take care,
The Learned Rose x

No comments:

Post a Comment