Saturday 13 July 2013

Through the Mountain Path

What a week!!!!

If I could even try and explain how much things have changed for me this week you would not even believe it. Instead I will tell you what I still don't not believe... I will graduate with a First Class Honours Degree.

En serio. How did that even happen?! Ok, well the 12 hours of study a day may have helped, but I was aiming for a solid 2.1 and blew my expectations out the water. To celebrate we took a bottle of Don Simon down the beach and there was some ice cold Cava waiting on our return. My life just gets more and more surreal...
When in Spain...

Celebrating is not all what I have been doing this week. Despite the 39 degree heat on Sunday, we went for a drive visiting Valldemossa, Deia and Port de Andratx. The most beautiful journey I have EVER been on.

Taking the car around the steep, winding roads which twist and turn up the mountains has to be one of the best ways to see what Mallorca has to offer. You feel as if you have stepped back in time and are viewing the island as it was before the tourism industry took off.
Valldemossa 
Valldemossa también

Deia 
I can't resist classic cars!
The valley surrounding Deia
Such beautiful houses!
View from the mountain path
Natural Mallorca
Andratx 
Time to go fishing!

I also made 'english cupcakes' this week with my cousins, which was amazing fun. Sugar everywhere but tasted fantastic! Still nothing beats my sisters cupcakes though, I just do not know how she does it.


Anyone hungry?

Finally, yesterday was a hugely busy, fun filled day. Firstly, I went to the Mercat de Oliver with university, to carry out some activities asking the vendors where things where etc. As the course also incorporates spanish culture I did find it a little bit slow at first. I have been eating ensaimadas and sobrassada all my life, I really have no need to ask the vendor what it is. However, it gave me a chance to get to know the people on the course a bit better and WOW this market is beautiful. So many stunning colours with vegetables asking to be eaten and fish so fresh you can still see it moving!

Oysters

Monkfish

Scary fish...
Many cuts of fish

Verduras 

If you weren't hungry before, surely you are now?

After this, I collected my cousins from their grandparents and before long we were at the Festival de Agua. So much fun! If there was a reliably scheduled day of 30 degree heat every year in the UK then I would love to bring this festival home. Basically, what happens is the children all meet at the local square, in their bathing suits to play different team water games before the 'disco'. A disco with a difference. The children copy the dance moves from the DJ (e.g. head, shoulders, knees and toes...) whilst being hosed with water! Not forgetting the unlimited supply of water balloons..! Such fun.

This took us nicely up to dinner time (9.30pm out here, don't know how some of you Brits would cope hehe). My cousin and I went for a lovely meal where the calamari and patatas fritas were just calling my name. After we went to the fiesta in the adjoining street, enjoying a granizado and some churros whilst soaking up the atmosphere.

Many stalls with lots to eat, drink and play!

Anyway, enough of my rambling. I must go and do my homework and get prepared for the fiesta on the beach tonight!

Take care,

The Learned Rose xx

No comments:

Post a Comment