Saturday 6 July 2013

Diary: a Day in the Life of a Sun Seeking Spanish Student

As much as I crave the sun, wish to eat tasty tapas and desire to drink cold cervezas, I actually have work to do while I'm out in Mallorca.

I am currently studying the spanish language and culture in a bit more depth at the Universitat de les Illes Balears. So far I completely love it, the teacher is fantastic and work is manageable.

Here is how my day pans out:

7.am:
Me despierto. Waking up will always be the hardest part of my day but when there is a freshly brewed coffee waiting to be drunk on the dinning table, this task is a lot easier.

8.am:
I head off to work with my aunt and uncle, it's only about a 15minute car journey.

8.30am:
From my aunts work I walk in to the city and there is enough time for a spot of reading and some more coffee at one of the many local cafes in the area.


9.30am -2pm:
This is when all the hard work happens. I won't go into detail because unless you are spanish obsessed like I am, it might send you snoozing!


2pm-3.45pm:
This is my time to do as I please. I can go home (the bus is so cheap and quick it really rivals those in London) or go shopping. Yesterday I did the latter, stopping briefly at las Ramblas to eat the bocadillo my uncle made for me in the morning. Wondering along the shaded streets of Palma is one of the most beautiful things you could do in your life. Each shop has the ambience of a quaint boutique and it can't be helped but to leisurely stroll from one tienda to another. On my way back to base I managed to pick  up this adorable bunch of flowers for my aunt. There was far too many to choose from, fresh, vibrant and with such a delicate scent I wish I could have bought them all!

Flores

An example of the old buildings lining the streets of Palma

My favourite advert out here
By about 4.30pm, after all the errands are run and the kids collected, we're home. But seeing as yesterday was a friday and the sun beams down until late in the evening, it would have been rude not to go to the beach...

Playa de Palma

Ok, who I am I trying to kid, this is totally the life!

Take Care,

The Learned Rose xx

No comments:

Post a Comment