Monday 10 June 2013

Luxurious London

My life as an undergraduate is now officially over. The exams are done and the daily commute to London is over after 3 long, chaotic and life changing years. A friend had won a competition for entry into Scala at Kings Cross that night, so we hit up London to end things on a high. Unfortunately, I was exhausted after all the intense studying but luckily dad offered to pick my friend and I up at 1.30am, not quite seeing the exams out as imagined!

However, my sister and I sure made up for it at the weekend. To celebrate the end of exams and because we are not going on holiday together this year, we decided to go to Polo in the Park at Hurlingham. We also had the glorious idea of checking in for two nights at the Millennium and Copthorne Hotel at Stamford Bridge, the home of Chelsea FC. BLISS! As some of you may know my sister struggles to leave the house often due to her disability, hence why the hotel meant we had a suitable base nearby if the weekend got too much at any point. Having a sister with a disability isn't all doom and gloom, it has some 4 star highlights..

Who doesn't love Torres?!

On friday we thought we would put the Merlin Pass to use and take a spin on the London Eye. I hadn't been on there since 2001 when it was still a new sight in the capital. The Eye didn't disappoint at all, glorious sunshine meant fantastic views and the atmosphere in the 'pod' is so calm, it was lovely and relaxing. 

South London

The Thames towards Vauxhall and Battersea 



Although the next day is what I really wanted  to talk to you about. Mint Polo at the Park. AMAZING! I do love a trip to the polo, but Hurlingham was chukka blocked (haha, see what I did there?!). Full of beautiful people drinking Pimms, champagne and cocktails from my favourite London bar, Mahiki's. Luckily we had Grandstand tickets so we didn't miss a match and kept out of the way of the bustling crowds.

Pitch invasion of a different kind

Treading Grass, Oh So Polo...

The teams comprised of Sydney, Buenos Aires, Abu Dhabi, Beijing, Moscow and of course, London. Sadly, the second match of the day got caught short after one of the players was thrown from his horse mid play and rushed to hospital. It was very scary, probably more so for his family. Either way, apparently he is fine now which is what matters.

Team Sydney

Team Buenos Aires

London and Abu Dhabi


It was getting all a bit too exhausting for my sister, so we hailed a cab and headed back for some hearty room service courtesy of Frankie's

Mum, take note...
Cocktails delivered to your door? Yes please.

It was a fabulous weekend and a perfect way to see out 3 years in the Big City. I'm not sure when I'll be back again, but London, it was a pleasure. 

Views of LSBU



Take care,

The Learned Rose x

No comments:

Post a Comment